CLIVIA: The story behind the beautiful clivia flower:
Clivia flowers are so beautiful, but very few people know of the lengthy process it takes to eventually get to the flower. I thought I would give new enthusiuasts a little peek into the beginnings of those beautiful flowers.
A process of about 5 years in all will get you from clivia seed to flowering size clivia. So patience is needed and a lot at that!
1. Pollination is done in flowering time.
2. Clivia seeds take 10 months to ripen
3. Clivia seeds are harvested and planted.
4. At 1 year old the clivia seedlings reach 2-3 leaf stage.
5. At 2 years the clivia seedlings have between 5 and 7 leaves.
6. At 3 years clivia seedlings have matured well and have between 8-12 leaves.
7. At 4 years old, your clivia should have at least 16 leaves to flower or it will only flower at 5 years old.